In 1928, the need for a Pentecostal church resulted in an Assemblies of God Mission being established. Families in Carlsbad, Rocky Arroyo and this general area came together to establish the church. The first Pastor was N C Whitlock. They built a church at 909 W Stevens. The church later became the First Assembly of God.
In 1942 they built a new church at 1502 W Mermod. In 1959, the old church was torn down and a new one erected at the same location.
In 1976, the church purchased the Phillips Boot Shop at 1414 W Mermod and converted it into a fellowship hall.
In 1982, a two story Christian Education building, attached to the sanctuary, was completed.
At the present time, under the leadership of Pastor Brad Coates, a new era of excitement has begun! We recently began our "Project Jubilee" expansion, which will include a new Fellowship Hall, a Youth Community Activity Center, and extensive renovation in our lobby, sanctuary, etc.
***Update*** We have now completed several phases of our project, beginning with an emphasis on our Youth Facilities. We built a new gym, renovated and upgraded a Game Room with Pool, Foosball, Air Hockey, and all the latest video game systems... we also renovated the Youth sound & lighting system. We have remodeled & modernized our bathrooms, hallways, and both nurseries. We also built a new Sound Booth and updated some sound equipment in the Sanctuary as well. We have now replaced a dozen A/C units, repaired roofs on 2 of 3 main buildings, and installed the very first paved parking lot in the history of the church! And, we are just putting the finishing touches on an amazing remodel of our Kids Church area.
Approximately $600,000 worth of work and we remain debt free!
Our past was filled with great victories and our future is brighter than ever.